View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
TrixMixer

Red face

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
I think a lot of people have yet to accept that they have a life threatening addiction to alcohol and that alcohol is no longer an option in their life. They don't quite believe it, so it's awfully hard to commit to sobriety if on a base level, you don't believe you need to stay sober.

After a few days of not drinking, they start to feel better.

Then their addiction tells them that maybe they don't have a problem, after all, they stopped for X number of days.

Then their addiction convinces them that having one or two drinks is a perfectly rational and reasonable thing to do. After all, they don't really have a problem, now do they?

The other thing that I thing happens, is that addicts sometimes just say ' F' it, I'm drinking and no one is stopping me.'

I remind myself throughout the day that I am a non drinker, that alcohol is no longer in my life and that I am an addict in recovery.

My AV doesn't stand a chance when it creeps into my brain.

Good question Trix.

Good Answer Xune!! So what is it --society does not devote the time and energy to educating people on alcoholism? Ya know my husband has Afib and there is a lot of research to be had out there on this health issue. Why do we not see more dedication to finding treatments for alcoholism or at least educating alcoholics that this nothing to mess around with. It will kill you if you let it.

A heroine addict knows they can't shoot up even once when they have detoxed or they are right back on the streets---I never hear Heroine addicts thinking they can just shoot up one time on Saturday night with the gang, and not realize the ramifications of their actions.
Why aren't alcoholics getting this message---Does the disease of alcoholism work on the brain chemistry enough to make them ignore all the warning signs Heroine has.

It is just so frustrating answering that "can I drink in moderation question over and over. I mean how many times doe you have to say it, read it , hear it--Yikes we are brainless with alcohol?

Sorry! I am venting to the AIR not you Xune, LOL