Thread: Is it just me?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
courage2
p***enger

Hi Rocketqueen,

Congratulations on your effort to be sober, and on your honesty about your feelings on SR.

I remember posting here on my early-early days (I'm still only at day 46), wondering about possible negative effects of this site. I had (still have) a lot of anxiety and tension headaches that seem to get worse on the site, & other times when I'm thinking a lot about my alcoholism, and in AA meetings.

Experience is starting to show me a few things: 1) the bad headaches are at least partly relieved by speaking to other alcoholics; 2) posting to a Gratitude List is always soothing (it's the first thing I do every morning, unless I wake up very negative, in which case I wait until I can be grateful for coffee LOL); 3) being part of a smaller community on SR that I can "get to know" -- in my case, the class for the month I quit drinking -- gives me a sense of groundedness here.

I don't know for a fact, but I think that if I just "didn't drink" and focused on other things in my life, I'd start drinking again soon. I need to work through the pain that brought me to alcoholism, even if doing so is uncomfortable & makes me want to numb the pain w/booze. I'm hoping for a real change, not just a dry spell.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your recovery, wherever/however you find it!