Thread: Is it just me?
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

For many years I noted that I had just as much anxiety when I felt very good, as when I felt very bad.

The crash back to reality after a really nice experience was very hard for me to take.

I don't know if I feel all that much better about it now but I don't drink over it, or drug over it, and that's pretty huge in and of itself.

I generally don't crave a drink, but it's happened a few times under duress..but I have enough experience under my belt concerning what happens if I do drink, or if I don't drink. Not drinking is the better experience.

Sometimes reading on SR does trigger me, so I log off for awhile. I have other recovery resources, or I just go do something else for awhile. Read, call a friend, sleep, whatever.

Sometimes I just don't want to hear about other people's problems. Sometimes I don't want to hear about their successes either. Sometimes I don't want to let the voices in my head compare me as better, worse, average etc to anyone. So I go to a site as different from this as possible. Or read a book, or anything that helps me integrate with me again.

Music is a huge help to me.

It doesn't matter if my triggers make sense to me or anyone else. I have learned to respect them and back off...when I am feeling strong again, I can analyze them, but in the midst, it's better to take a breather and do something positive.