View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Gforce23

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I have all these activities and groups I joined through meet up.com but my parents won't let me get out of the house after 7:30pm and it is frustrating because I so want friends but no one understands my situation. I just want to run away from my family. My mom constantly criticizes me for my weight and my dad too. My mom told me I was too needy because I want friends and that I attend too many AA meetings. She told me never to trust anyone and keep everyone at a distance. Anytime I try and discuss feelings I get called dramatic. Sorry I really do love my family but sometimes I get so frustrated with them. Im trying to find a job so I can move out soon.
Hold up here--your 28 years old and parents won't let you out of the house past 7:30? Um, what gives here, your an adult!

I hope you do find a job soon and your own place, because your family sounds really controlling. Tell your mom put a sock in it already and mind her own darn business, and that includes the numbers on your bathroom scale!

To be a little more empathetic towards your mom, it sounds like she's very afraid of losing her "control" over you--which may mean fear of you growing up finally and getting your own life. Don't listen to her. You are not needy, she is. Find your own friends and talk to them about your problems, because it sounds like your not getting any validation of your feelings from your family, and from the sound of it you won't any time soon. This has nothing to do with your worth as a person, and everything to do with their dysfunction.

Might I suggest a therapist to talk to?

Sometimes when other people aren't confronting their own problems and dysfunctions, they will sabotage a loved ones attempt to change and get a life for themselves.

It might seem scary to leave your comfort zone with your family, but it I think it might be healing for all involved. They will still love you when you leave.

Take care and hang in there.