View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gal220

Originally Posted by Anoronha View Post
I have all these activities and groups I joined through meet up.com but my parents won't let me get out of the house after 7:30pm and it is frustrating because I so want friends but no one understands my situation. I just want to run away from my family. My mom constantly criticizes me for my weight and my dad too. My mom told me I was too needy because I want friends and that I attend too many AA meetings. She told me never to trust anyone and keep everyone at a distance. Anytime I try and discuss feelings I get called dramatic. Sorry I really do love my family but sometimes I get so frustrated with them. Im trying to find a job so I can move out soon.
I was living with my parents when I quit drinking also. I had a profession, but too many student loans to be able to make it month to month on my own. They also didn't think I even had a problem with alcohol. They had never seen me drink. Ever. I always thought they were super critical, but I was also overly sensitive. Going through the process of recovery, I also learned how to grow up. I learned to see my parents as real people separate from myself. They can't give away what they don't have. They will never be people that I discuss my recovery or my emotional issues with. I am ok with that today, and I have a great relationship with them. Ultimately, my happiness, my growth as a person, and my sobriety is my own responsibility. That doesn't mean I run away and turn my back on my parents because they couldn't be the people I wanted them to be. Moving out did help me. I talk to them much more now than I ever did when I lived with them.

You will be ok. Keep working for your recovery!