Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
vegibean

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
Use this as a learning experience? Your son's behavior is trying and grating at best, but you know his patterns...so drinking over them is an excuse.
Plan ahead. If you don't want to drink, have a plan of what you can do to stop your behavior. Call someone for support, set the timer on the microwave(i did this) and give yourself a time out.
A wise person on these boards told me that cravings last 7 mins. I politely scoffed her idea, but tried it and she was right, or the power of suggestion helped.
Being accountable here is a good thing...are you getting ftf support? Is your husband helpful.
I agree with Fandy on this one, especially on the craving. I also quit smoking two years ago, and I did it the same way I quit drinking. If the urge hit me I grabbed a toothpick, found something to get my mind off of it and I'd totally forget about it.

You also really need to get some time under you, you need to break your "habit" of reaching for the drink, the longer you can sustain, the easier it gets.

I hope/wish you'd get help with this. I know we're all here for you, but going out and asking for it from a group or doctor/therapist takes a lot of strength, and it will help.

I really want to see you say stopped also, I've been there, and I know how you feel.