Thread: Question...
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Avalon393

Question...

Has anyone had any success in helping a loved one avoid possible relapse and return to working their program? I know this question is probably very common and almost humorous to most of those veterans out there (I am planning to buy some literature on codependency tonight). If so, how did you go about it? What approach should I take? and what should my attitude be towards the subject. As some of you may have read in my first post, my boyfriend is a drug addict, alcoholic, graduating from drug court in 2 weeks. He has recently adopted the idea that he is NOT and alcoholic and can drink socially (though he hasn't and can't yet.) Our roommate just graduated from drug court today and what should have been a celebration seemed more like a funeral to me...as he already has big drinking plans with his girlfriend tonight. If from your experience there is nothing I can do what is at least the best stance to take when/ if the subject is bought up again. I broke down crying at dinner last diner....and have just been arguing with him and moping around the house depressed ever since, which I'm sure is only adding to the problem. I also can't help but to blame and be angry at our roommate for being such a bad example and giving into his own relapse so quickly, which I also no I shouldn't. (If anyone has advice on changing my perspective towards him as we'll that'd be great too. Thank you all in advance. I don't know why but just reading these forums while feeling down is a huge lift off my shoulders and I am so happy I found this site.