View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FunnyValentine

Unhappy Seeking help for my husband's relapses

Hello, all! I'm new to SoberRecovery. I stumbled upon it while searching online about how to help my husband through his relapses.

Both my husband and I are recovering alcoholics. I got sober when I got pregnant with my first child, and that was almost 6 years ago. I haven't touched a drop since. But my husband began relapsing soon after we had our first baby, and his binge drinking led to cocaine abuse. After about a year of relapsing, he got professional help, and managed to stay sober for almost 3 years.

I have to add: My husband is a musician, so he's constantly in bars. He plays almost every night, and is surrounded by alcohol all the time.

A few months ago, he began relapsing again. At first, it was only alcohol, and his excuses were that he thought he could be a "social drinker" and that he didn't have a problem. This went on for months, with relapses taking place every 2 or 3 months. About 2 days ago, he left home (had to work), and never came back. I found out the next day that he had been drinking and doing cocaine all night.

I'm very scared, because the first time he got clean and sober, I had to put most of the effort into him going to therapy, seeing doctors, etc. We now have 2 kids, and I can't keep taking care of him.

I don't know if there's hope for him. He admitted today that he has a problem and wants to find help, but he doesn't know where to start. I've already made appointments for him to see a doctor, and I told him about nearby AA and NA meetings. I'm just worried he won't get better.

We've been together for 8 years, and I'm scared that our life will be like this forever. I don't want my kids to grow up around an unfit parent. I grew up with an alcoholic mother, and it was horrible.

Should I leave him? Should I stay? What can I do?

Sorry my post is so long. I'm just desperate.