View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
ruserius247

Originally Posted by Bob22 View Post
It has been two weeks since I stopped drinking. I went through Alcohol withdrawal. I thought things were getting better but today I woke up with Anxiety and feelings of hopelessness. In the afternoon I felt like I was back to normal and now I am having the Anxiety feeling really strongly again.

Is this normal for someone that has quit drinking? Will I ever get through this?

I really thought I was better!!!
Someone might have already mentioned this(I didn't read the all the posts).

Anxiety is a common symptom of alcohol withdrawal. So is sleeplessness and depression.

If you can, see your doctor and ask him/her to prescribe something to ease your anxiety and help you sleep.

If you went cold turkey, like i did, it can be hard mentally and physically. I never really got depressed, but i definitely had anxiety and could not easily fall asleep for about 10 days.

For me, two weeks sober would be enough time to get through the crappy part of the physical withdrawals. So, I am thinking maybe you are close to the end of those symptoms.

However, if you can, go see your doctor.
Explain that you are quitting drinking and are feeling some anxiety and he/she will probably give you something for that.

I don't advocate medication, but it will take the strain off of your heart, relieve the anxiety, and keep you calm until the physical withdrawals have gone away.

The alternative is, tough it out, which sucks from my experience. Also, is not good for your body, especially if you are older. I.E. 30+ age