View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TrixMixer

Originally Posted by Change4Better View Post
Since I relapsed again, I decided to give counseling a shot. I have to admit that I've never met an alcoholic that didn't have a high IQ, so this should come as no surprise that I am arguing there's nothing a counselor could tell me about my problems that I can't logically determine on my own. I've always thought I could handle things on my own cause hey...I'm bright! Albeit a moron when it comes to drinking.

So...is it worth it? Anybody that worried they were just inviting another person (the counselor) into your inner sanctum and nothing more, but ended up with useful insight that helped with the recovery? I'm afraid of spending hard earned money to hear platitudes I could just as easily find on Google or Go Ask Alice.
Hi Change4 Better,

You sound exactly like me, although it was not my IQ that kept me private. I had always been able to solve not only my problems but others too, so why can't I just do this myself, right.

Seeing a counselor was the best thing I ever did because it gave me accountability. Someone would be charting my progress and if your a proud freak like I was you would want to show them you could do it.

Only went to AA twice, it was not for me, so the higher power I went with was ME. I truly believe WE are the only ones that can make ourselves give up drinking. If i had to wait for a Higher power to tap me on the shoulder , mmmm don't know if I would be alive.

I was lucky I found a pretty smart cookie, no fooling her. She was an alcoholic also--went to her for smoking after we talked a little bit she told me my drinking was the bigger problem and I had to get sober before I even thought about smokes. I knew that but thought I could fool her and myself into avoiding the sobriety thing.

Worked with her for 3 months, never took a drink again and quit smoking 3 packs a day a year after I stopped drinking. Do it--I will always support a counselor for someone beginning their journey toward sobriety.

Good Luck!
TrixMixer