Thread: Support
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Snap

Exclamation Support

My daughter is an alcoholic. I've not been around her physically for quite some time. She nips hard liquor all day every day. She's had stomach cancer in Feb of 2012 to remove 1/3 of her stomach from a rare Stromal GIST tumor. Now she had cancer activity again and is scheduled for surgery soon for hysterectomy.
I know from reading here that I can't stop her or control her. My big question is, when it comes to the term "enabling", how do I know if I am or not?
She is calling me tonight to talk about an incident that occured while she was visiting....it was/ could have been deadly to someone here, but she was "joking" as she said at the time. I didn't thing she was that drunk at the time to point a gun at someone for kicks...!!!but she is saying she doesn't even remember doing it, that is why she is calling me tonight. No doubt to apologize and register that she has no memory of it. I personally believe she does remember it, but that she wants to claim a "fugue" state from alcohol. At the same time, she scared the jeepers out of the two people who witnessed it. She wasn't slurring her words.
When she calls, how should I respond? I'm 60, she's 37. I love her dearly and she's a wonderful sober person with a huge heart. Thanks anyone...