View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TrixMixer

Originally Posted by UnhappyHour View Post
This is Day One for me.

I rarely drank, even in my 20s, because my dad was an alcoholic and I hated alcohol. That all changed by the time I turned about 30 when I entered my 2nd serious relationship with a woman who turned out to be an abusive alcoholic (I'm not going to go on blaming her- I made plenty of bad choices that I am responsible for). As a coping mechanism I started drinking frequently. Now I drink every night. It's just ridiculous.

Today I am single and in my early 40s. I have a good job. Lots of other opportunities to further my career that I am pursuing on my spare time. Not much social life, but I do devote a lot of quality time with booze. I've convinced myself that I am a wine connoisseur and can go on about my appreciation for different regions and varietals, but now I am realizing it is just a scheme and excuse for me to drink.

I'm lucky that I might be considered a highly functional alcoholic. But I know something is wrong if I prefer what precious little free time I have to drink a bottle of wine by myself at home on a friday night instead of going out and socializing or catching up with friends who wonder where the hell I am. Many of my friends spend their time drinking while hanging out- so that is something I'll have to figure out.

-Unhappy Hour
Hi Unhappy Hour,

Well you have reached that phase of alcoholism where your best friend is now the bottle. You would rather stay home with that bottle then venture out. You are going into isolation mode. If you want to make really good use of the time you spend alone, now might be the perfect time to stop drinking.

Socializing and catching up with friends will not be what it was after you get sober, so it is good that you have already made the break. They are and will always be identified by your addiction as the "drunk" friends. Letting go of that life is not always easy, but you are half way there already, now just put down the bottle, and eventually you will make New friends. You won't be stuck in the house with your alcohol for company, and might actually enjoy getting out again.

I will always suggest at least an addiction counselor or doctor for supervision during your road to recovery and sobeiety.

Good Luck to you and keep us posted,

Trixmixer