View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 11:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
UnhappyHour

Sick and Tired of Drinking

This is Day One for me.

I rarely drank, even in my 20s, because my dad was an alcoholic and I hated alcohol. That all changed by the time I turned about 30 when I entered my 2nd serious relationship with a woman who turned out to be an abusive alcoholic (I'm not going to go on blaming her- I made plenty of bad choices that I am responsible for). As a coping mechanism I started drinking frequently. Now I drink every night. It's just ridiculous.

Today I am single and in my early 40s. I have a good job. Lots of other opportunities to further my career that I am pursuing on my spare time. Not much social life, but I do devote a lot of quality time with booze. I've convinced myself that I am a wine connoisseur and can go on about my appreciation for different regions and varietals, but now I am realizing it is just a scheme and excuse for me to drink.

I'm lucky that I might be considered a highly functional alcoholic. But I know something is wrong if I prefer what precious little free time I have to drink a bottle of wine by myself at home on a friday night instead of going out and socializing or catching up with friends who wonder where the hell I am. Many of my friends spend their time drinking while hanging out- so that is something I'll have to figure out.

-Unhappy Hour