View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Lara

Originally Posted by salsao201 View Post
How many relationships actually survive an addiction? Ive been reading horror stories online and have yet to see a happy ending. Im trying to help by reading up on recovery and supporting my wife but sometimes i feel like just quiting on her. Any stats on marraige survival with an addict would be greatly appreciated
Hi Salsao. I think the question is what is your idea of 'survive'? I have never been married to an addict. But have been involved with an addict for a very long time (over 10 years) and my dad was an alcoholic. My mum and dad were married for over 36 years before my dad died at age 51 as a result of alcohol abuse. So looking at that you would say my parent's marriage 'survived'. But it took everything out of my mum. Yes my parents loved each other - but the toll was great. I look at pictures of my mum in the early days - before Dad's drinking really became bad. My mum was a beautiful woman - full of life - and energy - and happiness. Over the years my mum aged hugely, became withdrawn, lacked life and rarely smiled. Only now, after 9 years since dad died, and with the first grandchildren - is mum beginning to 'live' again.... heart breaking!