View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
TheEnd
High on Life

To answer your question no AA is not a requirement. There are lots of programs to help you stop drinking or you could go no program. You mentioned you're seeing a substance abuse counselor so this will also contribute to your sobriety. Sobriety is a journey not a destination. What is working for you today, may not work for you tomorrow. Just remember to stay vigilant and listen to what your body is telling you it needs. Try looking for these books, it could help in your recovery:

1. Living Sober
2. The First Year of Sobriety
3. Living Sober Sucks.

AA was good for me intially, because I needed to know there were other people like me and I could interact with them. It also creates a structure for you to live. It's not a requirement that you do everything that is said, that is the members spouting all those requirements. Take what you need and leave the rest. That being said, after a while AA I grew out of AA and have decided to continue my recovery in other ways. To be dependant on a program to help maintain my sobriety is not growth for me. Having people tell me how I should live is not conducive to living an independant life. You could be different, decide what works for you.