View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
zjw

I quit without AA I didnt go to AA till i had been sober a year. AA isnt exactly a requirement. that being said I wish i would have gone to AA sooner. It would have made my life easier. But each person is different. Me being a religious person to a degree realize that I have to take the proper steps in my life to make the right choices. Some of the consequences of my bad choices could be seen as a way the higher power is offering some correction or discipline to me to wisen up and straighten my path. To that point I realize I dont exactly have control of everything and in this case a biggie is control of my drinking habit so its easier to simply not drink.

And yes fear is a big motivating factor keeping me sober. I'm terrified to pick it up again. I know where that path will take me and i know how out of control and quickly out of control it can get. I've heard others in AA say fear also motivates them to. So I guess we are not alone.

I think Fear should be one of many motivational things to keep you in line. Whatever it takes ya know.

I dont go to AA all the time. and sometimes i go just to listen and be reminded of where i came from and where i'm headed too. All at that table theres folks with 1 day too 20+ years with a story to tell. Each one has something they share that helps me stay on the right road and realize i'm making a good decision to stay sober.

Being a religious person I cant in my right my conciensce tell you to skip the higher power aspect as I think it helps. But out of respect for your beliefs no one says you gotta change your beliefs on aaccount of AA. Stay sober is what matters most keep in mind if you decide to head down the route of believing in a higher power etc.. its also another helpful option available.
Congrats on the 30 days!