Thread: Confused
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 04:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Glad you are here to talk about this, as it seems that you feel no one else will understand you. There are no tricks or tips to alcoholism. You stop and stay stopped. Easy to say, eh? I was chugging vodka like gatorade and knew that I couldn't live like that anymore. I couldn't live with the drink, I couldn't live without it. My wife was suffering from it, and our young boy was feeling it as well. I wasn't present as a father, or a husband....or an employee, a son, a neighbor, etc. either, in fact. I was wrapped up in myself and how the world had done me wrong and I was getting screwed over by everything and everyone. Hate was a full-time hobby and self-pity was my best pal.

But when I got to that tipping point, I realized I needed help. For me, AA was how I managed to stop and stay stopped. Not only do I not drink, but I have become a better dad, hubby, friend, employee...I have more energy, more peace, more understanding, and a different way of looking at life. It's not all roses - life goes on still - but it's how I react to it that changes the game.

I hope you look at a program of recovery - alcoholism isn't a joke.

All the best