Old 12-30-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
tehmazzyland

Originally Posted by AliceTheWalrus View Post
I am prepared for the physical side effects of early sobriety, but the shame is usually what drives me back to drinking. How have/do you get past that? I like to think that I'm not a bad person, but the shame seems to flood me and the bad parts overwhelm the good parts of me. I think of all the things I've done and said and been when I was under the influence, or looking for alcohol.

I do feel positive about this sobriety attempt, and I'm trying to focus on that. But there are still images and memories that make me want to crawl under my bed and hide.

I am ready to quit, absolutely ready. Just a little scared to see who I am on the other side... My doctor identified a bunch of depressive symptoms and he said how these might be from the alcohol, or they might be the real me, but he seemed to imply that it's likely from the alcohol (which of course is a depressant). It's a daunting thing to think that maybe a large part of my personality/identity is because of a chemical I've introduced to myself.

Sorry, rambling. Here we go... I'm excited and scared about this, but ready.
This is the most difficult part of sobriety for me too... and I simply do not know how I deal with it...

...except to dream of getting very very very far away - somewhere warm, with a beach, where I can genuinely start over - and for as long as I have to be here, doing what I can to make the move to not-here possible.

Yeah, tough call. Real tough call.