View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
AACoffee

Is he trying to 13th step me?

I met this guy when I was 3 months clean and he was seven (though he had been in the rooms for a year). He seemed really nice and respectful. I've always been upfront in meetings about having a boyfriend and he didn't seem like he was flirting at all in the beginning (he's quite passive most of the time) so when he asked if we could exchange numbers I said yes. I'm part of a fellowship where men sponsor women and women sponsor men quite often so it didn't seem like a big deal. Not long after, he began letting me know that he would be open to more if I was looking for that. I said no and he did apologize, but since then he's constantly sitting next to me at meetings and following me around, constantly asking me if he can come with me when I run my errands, etc. I've tried to talk to him about this and set some boundaries (I will admit I'm terrible at this, but I am trying to change) but it only causes him to burst into tears or text me later telling he he wants to relapse. To further complicate matters, he recently told me that he doesn't really have a drinking problem and that he started going to meetings because he wanted to meet people. He has recently started seeing a counselor and a shrink so I'm hoping that will do the trick. I'm not sure how to handle this. He goes to a lot of meetings so it's kinda hard to avoid him unless I drive to the next town, but I love my fellowship and don't want to run away from my problems. I'm asking you guys for advice because I'm in between sponsors right now. I have no idea if this is even 13th stepping or if it's just a case of someone very lonely and depressed looking for love in all the wrong places?