Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PMAallday

First sober birthday in over a decade today

Today is my 26th birthday. I have 146 days sober. I started drinking when I was 13 and I would say from about 16 years old till 146 days ago was a big blur due to always being drunk. I have my parents staying for the holidays at my house so we just went out shopping and ate really good food and watched a movie. I enjoyed having a nice and sober birthday.....sure is nice not to be that blacked out ******* I used to be. My struggle today was I had plans with my best friend to hang out tonight. She invited me to go to a brewery here in town. I declined and said that's not the best place to be at when you are an ex drinker. Anyways, long story short she went with her parents and said she would come by in an hour to go get some food and rent a movie. I got a drunk call from her about three hours later complaining about how I didn't want to go out. What I am struggling with in my recovery is not the staying sober part.....it is the finding people who can have fun without drinking. I can be around people that drink but not in situations where it is just a **** show and they are drinking to get drunk. I am fine around people just enjoying a few drinks. Do I need to just cut ties with people like that? My heart tells me yes but I'm not sure. Just difficult because that is everyone that I know. Thanks for reading.
Sean