View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
helpme33

When I would go to parents day or other events where I was around some of the other court ordered rehab men it was sad to hear the story of some of the older men.

At one social several of the older (mine was in his early 20's) were talking about how they had invited their family members and no one showed up. They said they had lost all contact with family they had been close to before.

It really amazed me that they were surprised that their family didn't just drop everything to visit them in rehab, especailly their children.

When I was alone with my son I expained to him that the families just get tired of their lives revolving around the addict, especially when they returned to the old friends and habits just as soon as they were released. This was my son's second court ordered rehab, both 9 months, that a was total of a year and a half of driving 2 hours each way to visit.

His out of control behavior started more than 20 years ago! I think all of his therapy and programs have just honned his skills to know exactly what to say and when to say it.

My retiring 6 years ago and putting distance between us by moving to another state has helped me tremendously. It is so hard when we see them self destruct!