Thread: Apologies if...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bexxed

There are some on these boards who are overbearing and do appear to attack those who are looking to explore who they are, what recovery is, and how that all fits for them. I can say that the crowd here is different than it was a couple of years ago- that's the nature of a community like this, I suppose, and it's definitely more supportive than not. But, Ultrabunny, you got validation here on this from me.

No one should be taking anothers' inventory. It happened to me on the first day I posted here this time around. I even had to come out and say that sentence, which surprised me. We're all vulnerable here- it's important to not be oppressed by well meaning, equally messed up people, though.

We could all use to check ourselves- ALL of us, and then sit with ourselves and a prayer. Thank God no two of us is exactly alike- it would be a hard and sad world.

AA doesn't work for me, either.... mostly because of that oppressive, paternalistic attitude and way of being that occasionally shows itself here... just permeates all over the meetings in my area. I'd leave wanting to drink, after listening to a hateful angry person take my inventory, tell me about myself (all of it was wrong, all of it) and why I needed to admit I was a piece of sh!& and "keep coming back".

Nah, I'll hit the bar instead, thanks.

We can find support from a community of people that's supportive. That being said, it's important for people to know when they aren't being supportive, I think, because remember, it's good for THEIR own recovery to help others. I'm sure they'd benefit from knowing that they could use to check that energy a little bit if they want to be more supportive.

Take care of you, Ultrabunny, one day at a time!