Thread: Apologies if...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

For me the decision to quit was more a decision to do my life sober, and be able to do all the things that alcohol was preventing me from doing. I made a list of good things that would happen when I quit and focused on them. I decided that if someone were standing in front of me, telling me that they were going to take my marriage, my family, my job, my home, and then my life from me, there would be blood. NOTHING was going to stand in my way, especially my preference for the buzz of oblivion that a half liter of vodka every day supplies.

It was time to put the Big Boy Pants on, no Pull-Ups, no half measures and no excuses. I drew a line that day, and that was the end of my drinking. I learned to set aside that urge for a drink and the deep pleasure I used to get from it, and to understand that I could separate myself from that urge. The urge to drink was really only a thought, and it only had the power that I decided it could have.

Lots of things in my life have changed in these 16 months, and they are fabulous wonderful changes and things I deserve, dammit. You can have these things too, and your own well deserved measure of peace, satisfaction, beauty and joy. But you need to step up. Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to drink?