Old 12-16-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
dawnrunner

Originally Posted by Mafalda View Post
. I am currently trying to find out myself why I am so in love with the feeling I get from alcohol. Haven't found out yet but I posted on this forum a few days ago and decided to stop and not wait for the train wreck.
Mafalda, it's great that you are quitting now when things are good! SO much better than waiting for a life wreck.

One thing AVRT stresses is that it is no mystery why anyone drinks or drugs: these activities bring pleasure, even if it is increasingly short-lived and costly.

The part of the brain that desires this pleasure is not rational. It doesn't care that alcohol/drugs will bring down the whole life in which it is implicated. It is like an unfortunate animal who will drink radiator coolant because it has a sweet taste, and then die of it.

The addictive voice loves it when we seek ever more complex explanations for drinking: My mother was unkind to me; I am too sensitive; I have a metabolic disorder; etc. These are great distractors while it drives us to the poison pleasure it craves.

Best wishes to you in your new plan for life! It is unbelievable, but that resolve to live as ourselves really is all we need. Well, plus some tips and some work and some alertness.