View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

It sounds like you're taking a reasonable approach, PP. I'm no doctor but if you go slow and keep and eye out for problems you should be fine. Maybe try not to be alone just in case you have issues. My first week was surprisingly easy, but I had a "secret weapon" that made this time different- AVRT. Google it.

I made a vow to myself, and it went like this: "I am never going to drink again and I will never change my mind." When stated forcefully and with sincerity and conviction it completely short-circuited my normal cravings. In the past I would always anticipate the next drink, and even if it was days away my mind & body were looking forward to it. Now I don't let "my Beast" get its hopes up.

The approach I take is to look at myself as being two minds in one body. The higher mind is "me", the part of me that's typing this, going to work, talking about the latest episode of "Mad Men", etc. The Addictive Voice (AV) is the part of me that wants to get drunk and have a good time. All of my cravings are my AV trying to get me to drink. But the AV lies! And it has no concept of consequences. It doesn't care that I have to go to work or that my liver is failing. There is no future to the AV, no idea of tomorrow. It just knows "NOW" and wants a fix.

When I hear that ol' AV and it's line of BS I cut it off cold in its tracks.