Notices

Getting Ready to Quit (Almost)

Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting Ready to Quit (Almost)

I have been dosing myself down on beer for the last week now. A week ago, I started off drinking a 12 pack every day. In the last week, I have tapered down from 12-6-5-5-4-4-3. I am getting to the point where I see the benefits of being sober (finally being able to sleep well for instance) greatly outweighing getting drunk every day.

I'm going to try to stop entirely in the next 3 days. I'm just curious what the first week is like. If anyone has any experience with this, what are the main obstacles to complete abstinance initially? I have my comfort cushion of at least having a couple beers a day now...but what will I need to prepare for to completely give it up? (The thought of giving up drinking entirely seems nearly impossible to be honest). Any advice is appreciated!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread might give you some pointer Pricky - it's not always pleasant reading but keep in mind nearly everyone's experience is different....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

for me the first week was rough but no rougher than my drinking life was on me.
best of luck

D
Old 12-10-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. Disclaimers noted. One thing I am missing in this thread though...the circumstance of "detox." I understand what I am doing is a self imposed detoxification in it's own right (and to add my own disclaimer I would not recommend trying what I am doing without medical guidance if you are a heavy drinker and/or experience withdrawl symptoms of yourself). I don't think any of the reading here is shocking or overly unpleasant. It seems expected. I picked up a bit from the post but I guess I will rephrase my question...roughly 4-5 days after the date of cessation where the body has had time to work most of the toxins due to alcohol consumption out...is that the point where most people find things getting..."not so fun?"
Old 12-10-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It was never 'fun' for me right from the beginning...I was always pretty much suffering for a week....but then sometimes I felt good almost right away too.

Every detox was different for me, and every detox differs from person to person too I think.

I know what you're asking, but there's no guarantees 'this will happen at this time' etc...if this is your way to do it, you just gotta start the thing, and go with it, Pearz, I think.

As always - one last disclaimer - if you get concerned call a Dr or the ER., but I wish you well

D
Old 12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like you're taking a reasonable approach, PP. I'm no doctor but if you go slow and keep and eye out for problems you should be fine. Maybe try not to be alone just in case you have issues. My first week was surprisingly easy, but I had a "secret weapon" that made this time different- AVRT. Google it.

I made a vow to myself, and it went like this: "I am never going to drink again and I will never change my mind." When stated forcefully and with sincerity and conviction it completely short-circuited my normal cravings. In the past I would always anticipate the next drink, and even if it was days away my mind & body were looking forward to it. Now I don't let "my Beast" get its hopes up.

The approach I take is to look at myself as being two minds in one body. The higher mind is "me", the part of me that's typing this, going to work, talking about the latest episode of "Mad Men", etc. The Addictive Voice (AV) is the part of me that wants to get drunk and have a good time. All of my cravings are my AV trying to get me to drink. But the AV lies! And it has no concept of consequences. It doesn't care that I have to go to work or that my liver is failing. There is no future to the AV, no idea of tomorrow. It just knows "NOW" and wants a fix.

When I hear that ol' AV and it's line of BS I cut it off cold in its tracks.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

everyones experience is different- some people's body reacts violently when alcohol is withdrawn others have a milder experience.

I think it helped me to think of it as a journey- but I am of the view that withdrawal has a very long psychological and emotional tail.

What ever awaits it is a journey worth taking
Old 12-11-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The chances are high that you'll feel very good and proud of yourself for stopping, and surprised that it came so easily. Many of us stop occasionally through the years for differing lengths of time.

For as long as you don't drink your drinking problem will be solved. Stating the obvious of course, but it will work lifelong should you keep making that choice, and not ever make the other choice.

You may find yourself with occasional thoughts about the drinking you used to do, and because of the good reasons you decided to quit, be quite happy you made the decision you've made. It may not be a struggle or recurring difficulty for you, if you've no reservations about someday being able to drink alcohol again.

If you do leave that door ajar as a possible future option then you may have a struggle on your hands and may need to often reevaluate your decision, always and uniformly convincing yourself that not drinking at all is indeed the right path for you. That is an indicator you have added to this a substantial element of chance.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The worst for me was anxiety and insomnia. The physical symptoms were bad, but the mental anguish was the killer. It may be best to relax at home if you can and avoid people for a few days.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Autobrew Anon Member

i think you should plan what you are going to be doing. drinking takes up a lot of "dead space" so to speak. if you don't plan on other activities than you will definitely be focusing on that you can't have a beer. try to make yourself busy so you won't be so preoccupied with what you used to do and aren't doing now. come here lots ~ people understand and it's good to get tips and encouragement. also remember to hydrate....water, water or something else. i'm all hung up on drinking apple juice right now haha. a lot of people drink a bunch of tea or coffee, find another favorite drink to replace your beer.
good luck ~ best wishes!!!

oh and welcome to the board
Old 12-11-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I always found the first four days of detox to be the worst. Once I got thru those physical problems I started to feel a lot better.

Welcome to SR!:ghug3
Old 12-11-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It definitely helps to have distractions and plans, change up your routine. I was thrilled with small accomplishments i did....i was being a grown up.cooking dinner, grocery shopping, cleaning my house and bathrooms, restoring order and sanity.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The way you've tappered down to 3 a day...you may very well feel little to no physical symptoms of withdrawal.

I was fortunate to have a very mild period of detox after I stopped.

The best part is, I never have to go through it again!

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by PricklyPearz View Post
...what are the main obstacles to complete abstinance initially?
Your own mind. You will be going through a lot of mental gymnastics trying to convince yourself you don't have a problem, you can control it, that you deserve "just one" for doing so well staying sober.

Stupid stuff. But it makes sense if you are addicted. That's why we fall prey to it.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me the first three days were the hardest. I felt agitated and as Gyspy wisely noted, had extra time on my hands. I changed my routine and planned to be out of the house at 4 pm - wine time I started taking walks and ran errands instead of lounging around with a goblet!