View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
BoxinRotz

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
You said your husband had 20 years of sobriety. This says he has the ability to stay sober. How did he accomplish this in the past and what was his reasoning for returning to drinking?
Yes, he *had* 20 years of sobriety.

His ex wife left him. He was with her for 3 years and married for 1. They had just had a baby and she said NO MORE. He put her through hell and he must have hit his bottom when he lost her and his baby boy who is now 24 years old.

He told me he went through a 90 day in patient treatment facility. He said he was given *tools* to work through his problems with alcohol and he used them successfully. He joined a gym and devoted 20 years to body building. It was his new life.

When I met him, he was proud of who he was and that sobriety even though it was gone. He was proud of the way he looked as a 52 year old man. He wanted everyone to believe he had it all. He has a good job at the DOC. He was financially secure and had just bought a house in 2009. Had a brand new car and a Harley that he always wanted. All of this was a first for him.

Then he told me, after the fact, that he thought he could handle a drink. And that drink had a bottomless pit and he has yet to pull himself out of it. Every time I have mentioned a treatment plan he has said, I have the tools to do this myself but I do believe that his tools have rusted from not being used. I don't believe for one second that he can do this alone and on his own because this is not the first time he has said, I can do this by myself.