View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
lillamy

Welcome. I'm glad you're here, but I'm sorry you need to be here.

Will the cruelties stop?
I don't know. I don't think anyone knows.
In my marriage to an alcoholic, I got to the point where I asked myself, "if nothing ever changes -- if this is the way our relationship, and his abuse, will be for the rest of my life... is that what I want from my life?"

There are people who find sobriety and recovery and live responsible, loving lives again. You will find some of them here, as you may have seen.

There are also people who never do. My AXH is, so far, one of them.

I struggled for years with what to do. I couldn't leave a man I loved, I felt responsible for him. But time sort of solved that problem for me. As his alcoholism progressed, the abuse got worse and at the end, there was no love, just terror. Which, I guess, made it an easier decision to save myself and the kids and leave.

We're not supposed to give advice here. So I won't. But I will tell you that the behavior you are describing in your husband is not just cruel, it is abuse. A person who threatens you with a gun (does it matter that it was unloaded?) is not a safe person to be around.

Do you find it acceptable for a person to point a gun at you? Would you find it acceptable if an absolute stranger, or a neighbor, or a coworker treated you the way your husband treats you?