View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Ima, my previous drinking problem sounds similar to yours; all I could think about in the afternoon was having that first drink, followed by lots more. That was when I realised it was getting out of control and I needed help. I'm not an AA person either. The answer is complicated and simple. The complicated bit is digging out the motivation to act, but once you've found it, it's simple. I saw my regular doctor. He gave me some pills which had zero effect and nasty side-effects. I struggled for a few weeks longer then found the motivation in setting an example for my DIL who was trying to get pregnant and give up smoking. I'm very judgemental about smokers so I told myself that if I couldn't give up drinking I had no right to judge DIL for not giving up smoking.
Motivation: it's not always the obvious reasons of health, sanity, weight etc. I think you've taken the first step in wanting to give up. Why not do some research on the long term effects of alcohol abuse, different programs you can try etc.
On the practical side, if you ask the people on this forum about how to cope with cravings you will get some amazingly helpful advise.
Go for it! The wonderful feeling you get waking up in the morning after not drinking is worth it alone.