Notices

Considering not drinking anymore

Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Considering not drinking anymore

I think I am an alcoholic. A functioning alcoholic, but an alcoholic nonetheless. I work a normal 9-5 job as an engineer, and I find I'm much more productive in the morning than in the afternoon. I think this is because I am feeling that compulsion to get home as soon as I can to have that first drink.

During the week, I drink at least 3-4 beers a night. Maybe if I buy myself a little bottle, I'll replace a beer with a shot... or two. Every once in a while, I'll start drinking shots on week nights and not stop at one or two. On the weekend, well sometimes I start drinking early and just drink beer all day. Sometimes I'll drink beer all day and then hard liquor at night. Often accompanied by playing video games until my reaction time is too slow and I suck at it. Then I'll just pass out and promise myself I'll stop drinking the next day. Which brings me to the main focus of my predicament:

I go through a 12-hour cycle every day of telling myself I'll quit drinking.... and craving that first drink. I fall asleep thinking about how I want to stop drinking, wake up the next day (never hung over, or I'm just used to it) and tell myself today is the day I stop drinking, and then I go to work and am very productive for the first half of the day. Everything is peachy. But then afternoon comes and my productivity drops dramatically. I start to think about that first drink. And I mentally berate myself and tell myself, "NO TODAY IS THE DAY TO STOP." But it never works. I always end up leaving work as soon as I can to hit the sauce.

I even have goals in life. I have my graduate degree in mechanical engineering and my undergraduate degree in physics from a pretty good school. I want to go back and get my graduate degree in physics and then my doctorate in physics and probably teach. But I just lose all motivation on a 12-hour time schedule. I'm beginning to think I'm too weak to fix it by myself, but I really don't want to go to AA...
Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Imabuleva

There are other ways to get sober besides AA - other recovery groups like SMART and LifeRing are not 12 step based but they are meeting oriented too.

All of them have online meeting options as far as I know.

Something like AVRT (Rational Recovery) has no meetings at all - that may be an avenue you'll be interested in.

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach, like the ones I've mentioned here

D
Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Imabuleva, can relate firsthand to your situation. One of the best P. Eng's I work with is in the same boat, flawless detailed work, but if you need to talk to him after 12:00pm better try him on his cell, because everyone knows he is at the pub. Need him after 2:00pm? Send him an email because he won't do anything with it that day, and when he deals with it in the morning it will be right. Almost like all his professional contacts are enabling him, because we know his routine. And if wondering why he hasn't been let go for only working half the time, well, it's his name in the company logo.

You'll find your situation is similar to many others, keep reading, and hope you stick around.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Imabuleva!

I could have written your post (minus the engineering part, though my father was one). I wish I had a count of the number of morning promises I broke by evening. I played video games, too (hours of them)....whatever mindless thing I could do while drinking.....

Drinking every day (even at relatively low levels) can create a vicious cycle of anxiety/depression. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was actually having minor withdrawal symptoms each day.

Coming here helped give me the strength I needed to change my life. Good for you for recognizing your problem and wanting to make a change - you can do it!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
So it goes

Well I saw your post , and imabuleva there's not a trace of doubt that drink and you are not friends. That is the first and biggest step
There are lots of answers here to the one question. Most make sense and you will find one that works.
AA is not too bad and a meeting or two can help you put your problem onto perspective and realise you are not alone. If you don't want to do that you can listen to AA podcasts some are funny some are scarey all make one point
The biggest thing you will have to get your head round is you can never drink again. That deterred everyone her for months and years and decades
You can't. Learn to accept it then embrace it. I am nearly 11 months sober. This will be my first Christmasin 40 years without a drink. Probably more as even as a child we were allowed a sip on Xmas day. But I don't drink and am proud I don't
Life doesn't get better but you sure as he'll can cope better
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Buleva, I am also P.Eng. and sober now for well over a year. That routine of mine was similar to yours, except I never started until after quitting time, but I sure wasn't much good after 6 for anything. Still, in those six hours before I passed out, I could still pound back a dozen doubles. Every day.

But that is history now. I checked out a number of options when I decided I had had enough, including AA. I stayed with a couple of other ideas for the long term though, SoberRecovery.com and AVRT (Rational Recovery).

The AVRT appealed to me because it made sense, it's a logical construct. You might feel the same. Lots of discussion of AVRT and other REBT / CBT ideas like SMART on the Secular Connections forum.

You are only too weak to fix it yourself if you believe that is a true statement. What can happen if you believe that you can quit? What can you achieve if you believe in yourself?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the support. I really hope I can follow through with my wishes to be sober starting tomorrow. I don't know how though... my inability to follow through with it is destroying me.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

hi Ima, my previous drinking problem sounds similar to yours; all I could think about in the afternoon was having that first drink, followed by lots more. That was when I realised it was getting out of control and I needed help. I'm not an AA person either. The answer is complicated and simple. The complicated bit is digging out the motivation to act, but once you've found it, it's simple. I saw my regular doctor. He gave me some pills which had zero effect and nasty side-effects. I struggled for a few weeks longer then found the motivation in setting an example for my DIL who was trying to get pregnant and give up smoking. I'm very judgemental about smokers so I told myself that if I couldn't give up drinking I had no right to judge DIL for not giving up smoking.
Motivation: it's not always the obvious reasons of health, sanity, weight etc. I think you've taken the first step in wanting to give up. Why not do some research on the long term effects of alcohol abuse, different programs you can try etc.
On the practical side, if you ask the people on this forum about how to cope with cravings you will get some amazingly helpful advise.
Go for it! The wonderful feeling you get waking up in the morning after not drinking is worth it alone.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Imabuleva View Post
Thank you everyone for the support. I really hope I can follow through with my wishes to be sober starting tomorrow. I don't know how though... my inability to follow through with it is destroying me.
Google 'The crash course AVRT' and see if that helps you. I was in the exact same cycle as you for three years and that is what broke me out of it.

Welcome to SR x
Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
Google 'The crash course AVRT' and see if that helps you. I was in the exact same cycle as you for three years and that is what broke me out of it.

Welcome to SR x
This. Good luck !
Old 12-05-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

There are multiple ways to quit drinking but Fresh Starts tag line says it all

"never drink again and to never change my mind."

This is the first step in recovery that must be taken. Once you are at this point you can start looking at methodologies but "Considering" is not going to work.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Not sure what it will take to motivate you. If I can, I'd like to suggest you DO NOT wait until things get so terrible that there is no doubt in your mind that you are an alcoholic. Because that might be too late. We alcoholics have an amazing ability to delude ourselves about our condition.

You're concerned about your drinking. That should be enough to drive us to follow through with quitting. But the addiction is cunning.

I wish you much luck.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well I guess the only way to stop drinking is to simply stop drinking. I'll just make today my day 1 and start from there.

Everytime I get drunk I want to stop drinking. But when I sober up, I want to start drinking. Everyone around me is an alcoholic. My brother is sick with the disease. My dad is a functioning alcoholic and probably gave up on quitting long ago. I guess I still have a chance.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Well I guess the only way to stop drinking is to simply stop drinking. I'll just make today my day 1 and start from there.

Everytime I get drunk I want to stop drinking. But when I sober up, I want to start drinking. Everyone around me is an alcoholic. My brother is sick with the disease. My dad is a functioning alcoholic and probably gave up on quitting long ago. I guess I still have a chance.
So what is your plan to quit drinking. Will power alone seldom works
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Imabuleva, welcome. There was once a day I could work and function too. Then I crossed some invisible line and could no longer cope or function. I hope you develop a plan soon. I couldn't do it alone. My doctor gave me some non-addictive meds to help with my late in the day anxiety which also helped me with cravings in the beginning. There's alot of support here and I hope you stick around. Just reading the threads and learning about addiction helped a great deal.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
So what is your plan to quit drinking. Will power alone seldom works
Rational Recovery. AVRT. I'm taking the crash course over and over. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. I've tried to control the beast for long enough, and all that ever happens is I let the beast take over when my inhibitions are down. That and lurking the forums around here...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As good as AVRT is though, I will reject its advice to not count the days. I look forward to counting the days. I think counting the days will make me feel powerful and hopefully snowball my life in the opposite direction of addiction.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I am a big fan of AVRT and it works. I had to use AA as well to keep me sober long term because drinking was a symptom of other problems for me

Other suggestions,

Get rid of all alcohol in your house

Stay out of drinking situations

Build up a group of sober or at the very least non-alcoholic friends

Seeing a couselor with expertise in addiction

Try an AA meeting

Research recovery methods and addiction in general (all sorts of suggested reading on SR)

Being honest with those you trust
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It's not possible to get all of the alcohol out of my house. I live with two other alcoholics. My dad and brother. It's just time to stop being such a wimp and quit. Other people are going to drink. That doesn't mean I have to. I shall slay this beast

I love how AVRT calls it a beast. It makes feel like Dexter.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Also I'm not the most sociable person in real life, but I love the anonymity of the internet. So you guys are all welcome to be members of my sober "social" group. These forums are quite active, so I forsee them as crucial to the beast crawling back into the hole from whence it emerged.