View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
WishingWell

As I just said on another thread, it's a delicate dance. I will not be party to it either and that is a dilemma for you that I don't have. I don't know how I'd handle that. Perhaps just as you are, knowing that he'll see the truth soon enough for himself.

My mind bounces back and forth between hope, facts, knowledge vs fears, worry, negative experiences. I have a friend whose husband has clinical depression. It's much the same, but I have to say in this case - I'll take our dilemma anyday. We never know what dysfunction we'll get in a marriage or in our children. There is no B & W answer.

Sometimes reading on this forum, it feels like I'm the only human being on earth married to a really decent, smart, hardworking, reliable and basically good person who is an alcoholic. It makes the choice to stay, I think, more difficult. Reading that some spouses are losing jobs, constantly raging, staying out all night, not coming home, insulting, missing birthdays, ruining holidays - the laundry list from hell, I get why people run! While I've certainly had our share of hard times during those 3-4 years, 20 years of my marriage has been good. Solid.

There is no clear answer and maybe that's were trust in a Higher Power comes in. I believe in treatment, if he's getting it - there is hope. Living in the moment. Very happy to have you here and hear your thoughts!