Thread: Temptation
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
EternalQ

Well done Natom!! This is a good story to share. Did the friend of the friend know about your addiction and they were warning you about the coke? Or was it a coincidence they mentioned it which gave you warning to hit the door? Either way, I am glad you were warned and protected your sobriety like the jewel that it is.

Sometimes I don't think people realize what addiction is like for us. While they are having a simple group conversation, I can still be two minutes behind thinking about something alcohol related someone said previously. It will stick to my mind like metal shavings to a magnet if I am vulnerable. Meanwhile everyone else doesn't even notice that an alcohol topic was mentioned. Lol

Alcohol still takes on a larger then life vibration for me when it is introduced and I suspect this will take years to settle down. However I have noticed if I am in a place I chose and with someone I am very secure with that it recedes quickly. But if I am at a function with many people or one I felt I "had" to attend socially (like for work or family) then it stands out in stark relief to me until I leave. Maybe that is some kind of protective alarm thing I've developed to guard me when I am vulnerable but I hope it settles down eventually.