Notices

Temptation

Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Temptation

I've just got back from a night out with a friend, and a friend of the friend. We went to a bar and I just had lemonades and then we went to my friends work party (I used to work for the same company) and hung out there for a bit. I had a lot of resentments about that job. I actually spoke to my old manager who knew the circumstances of my leaving and he seemed genuinely concerned about me.

And it was all ok, no temptations, no urges. Until my friends friend decided to tell me he was going to go and score some coke. Now going and telling me he was going to get my drug of choice was a wise idea because I was gone within 5 minutes. I don't know whether it's the fact I am in recovery or whether it's because I am aging but I honestly don't see the appeal of drinking in bars anymore. It was freezing, people were angry, police were everywhere and I bought one round of drinks for 3 people and it cost me £11. I had to use a £20 note to pay for 3 drinks. Jesus.

Anyways that's my rant. I removed myself from the situation. I am slightly annoyed that my friend didn't tell me about her friend being a massive drinker and drug user though. Maybe she doesn't know. I guess I will have to talk to her about it in the future. But I'm clean and sober and actually warm now thanks for letting me share.

Natom.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Very glad to hear you made it out of there, Natom. Early on, our sobriety is quite fragile - glad you weren't tempted.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow Natum, that was a lot of exposure and glad you made it out of the situation.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nice move, slick I find. Why stay there and freeze your ... When you can be home sober, and spend time with us instead! LOL!
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job Natom. You handled the situation and removed yourself.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great STory
Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job avoiding alcohol while you were out and leaving before your DOC arrived!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done Natom!! This is a good story to share. Did the friend of the friend know about your addiction and they were warning you about the coke? Or was it a coincidence they mentioned it which gave you warning to hit the door? Either way, I am glad you were warned and protected your sobriety like the jewel that it is.

Sometimes I don't think people realize what addiction is like for us. While they are having a simple group conversation, I can still be two minutes behind thinking about something alcohol related someone said previously. It will stick to my mind like metal shavings to a magnet if I am vulnerable. Meanwhile everyone else doesn't even notice that an alcohol topic was mentioned. Lol

Alcohol still takes on a larger then life vibration for me when it is introduced and I suspect this will take years to settle down. However I have noticed if I am in a place I chose and with someone I am very secure with that it recedes quickly. But if I am at a function with many people or one I felt I "had" to attend socially (like for work or family) then it stands out in stark relief to me until I leave. Maybe that is some kind of protective alarm thing I've developed to guard me when I am vulnerable but I hope it settles down eventually.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great move to get out of there.
Expensive, noisy, crowded places can only be tolerated when we are under the influence it would appear. That would have been my idea of hell too x
Old 12-02-2012, 12:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not Alone

The friend of the friend was briefed on my recovery. Admittedly he said he felt guilty drinking around me. I didn't judge him for wanting to use. If I could use recreationally I would. But I know I can't. He said he would rather have told me than spent the night doing it secretly which is fair enough.

Natom.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Natom, your exit strategy was perfect. I was out briefly for drinks after work. No one let me buy a round as I was only drinking lemonade. It seems unfair that you have to pay £11 for a round when your drink is only £1:50! I think another strategy I'll employ is just to buy my own drinks. That way I don't have to explain every time there is a round or pay ridiculous prices for other people to get tanked! I don't plan on going to those places often though.

I liked reading about your lightening quick reflex to leave. You would have suspected something anyway if your friends friend hadn't told you and that may have been very hard.

Well done

S x
Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your getting an old man Natom!
Your slippers, pipe, milky drink, the fire, your armchair are waiting!

I'm only kidding.
You did great.
And I agree - how did we ever think that was fun?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The pointlessness of the whole bar scene really hits you smack in the face once you get sober. Drunk people are at once amusing and somewhat pathetic to me now.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I was actually drinking Red Bulls which are about the same price as a pint in bars my way. I would have known if he was using regardless. I have addict-dar. It was an experience that I learnt a lot from. I doubt I will be going out again soon though lol.

Natom
Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Natom - well I guess you can actually thank your friend for telling you so you could make the choice. Good job on the running from the scene.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you made it out of there! I felt the same way at a party last week - a few of my "buddies" decided (after many beers and whatever drugs they were on) to light off some fireworks at 1am. Then one of them started throwing up. I just kept thinking I couldn't wait to get out of there so after only a couple hours I bounced. And I felt better at home where it was quiet and warm. And that's ok today.