View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
TSDD

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
I don't know if this is slightly off-topic, but here goes.
I stopped smoking two weeks ago with the help of an electronic cigarette. For those who are unfamiliar with the concept, this is a fake cigarette which blows water vapour, not smoke. They have some nicotine in them, but no other toxic chemicals. It's been a breakthrough for me.

However, at the end of tonight's meeting, an old-timer who I know very well asked me for a word. He actually took me by the hand, and led me, like a little girl, out of the room and along the corridor, out of everyone's earshot.
He then proceeded to lecture me on using my Ecigarette during the meeting. He said it was 'completely unacceptable'.

I was taken off guard, so I just said sorry, and that I wouldn't do it again.
Later however, I felt upset and angry. Upset because I would never do anything to offend anyone, and this man should know this.
And angry because I felt humiliated and bewildered.

I repeat, Ecigarettes are harmless. The 'smoke' is vapour. That's the genius of them, so what objection could there be.
I'd be very interested to hear what smokers and non-smokers feel about this? Would you feel an aversion to someone using one of these gadgets in a meeting.
( I should add that I did say during my share that it wasn't a real cigarette).
One of the best things that has helped me cope in AA is learning how to tell people to go **** themselves. You'll never meet as many people who can't manage their own lives that are all to eager to manage yours for you.

If you're not as brash as I am, you can always ask the person offending you "what's that 'live and let live banner' mean?"

That's a more passive aggressive way to ask someone to mind their own busieness.

Oh and for background, I used to smoke, quit a few years ago when they topped 5$ a pack. Got sober washing ashtrays in smoke infested AA halls. Still thoroughly enjoy a smoking meeting just for the atmosphere whenever I travel through an area in which indoor smoking is permitted..... I hope to God my life never comes to the point where I'm worried about someone smoking fake cigarettes.