View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
KnowHope
Recoveringed

I'm an alcoholic, an addict and a member of more than one fellowship. In one of my first home groups for addiction, there were a few members who would sit rolling up cigarettes throughout every meeting. I was new, confused and vulnerable. It reminded me a lot of rolling joints. They used to put the 7th tradition into the plastic sack found around cigarette packs, and they would melt the plastic to close it just like many of us did with our drugs. I never said anything about it, and now I don't have or endorse the idea of "triggers," but at the time it unsettled me. Although these things might be deemed technically harmless, these looked to me to be rollover practices from active addiction. When I got plugged into the program through a healthy network, I was able to see that the group itself was not a healthy place, and the people doing this really didn't have much recovery to speak of. A coincidence? We say that we want our rooms to be a place most conducive to recovery. Why don't we all practice this to the best of our ability? I think the man was right in taking you aside, and I think he was also being respectful of you by speaking with you about it in private. I suspect it would be better for you to take on the decision not to smoke e-cigarettes during meetings as an unselfish act than for this to potentially make it's way to vote in GC.