View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pattyj

I too am young, 29, and starting drinking at 15 at high school parties. I never liked the taste but the feeling of being drunk was what I was going for. I got kicked out of a high-rated college, went to the emergency room, drugged, raped, etc. All from drinking and wanting that buzz. That's not really worth it, is it? I have been to work many, many times over the years drunk. How stupid is that??

About a year ago, I decided to quit drinking during the week. As a teacher, it's really tough to put up with bratty children with a hangover. I decided to only drink on the weekends. I finally realized that I would drink enough on the weekends to make up for not drinking during the week.

So then I recently thought that I would only drink when I was with company, either at a bar or at my house. That didn't work either.

I have, however, realized that I can still have people over, go out to eat, even go to a bar and have as much stupid fun as I used to and not drink. I can drive myself home, nothing 'bad' happens with the opposite sex, I can remember the entire night, and get up before 10am to enjoy the rest of my weekend.

I have found that once I came to peace with not drinking alcohol, that it's the other person's problem if they have an issue with it. 'I don't drink.' That's the end of the story. Deal with it or get out of my face. Some family members have issues with my drinking and some friends are no longer friends because of it but that is their problem not mine.

I think being young and sober is a reality check for those who are sober and those who continue to drink. Who quits drinking before 50 or 60? Young, at a bar, and sober? unheard of. I do think that young people are realizing that they need to take care of their problem before it gets too late and that there are some who don't want to acknowledge their problem since you are no longer drinking.

Good luck, stay sober (it's the cool thing to do now!)