View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 03:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
tromboneliness

Originally Posted by illiga View Post
The intervention was in June, and he's been going to meetings since then. I'm bracing myself for what's to come, because the recovery was not by any means an easy one. His life now has forever changed. We lost our house, he lost his job, and my mom and him are no longer together. I'm worried these stressors will effect him in a negative way.
The important thing to keep in mind is that in the end, whether or not he stays clean is his doing, not yours. We (by which I mean we on the -Anon side of Al-Anon or whatever) have spent our whole lives trying to control, manage, and fix other people's problems, and when a loved one goes into treatment, it's the same way -- we still think we can force solutions... especially since we just did an intervention to get them into treatment!

My wife went to treatment in 1996, after I organized an intervention (hired a professional intervention counselor to fly in and facilitate it). She's been sober and healthy ever since -- but not because I made her stay sober and healthy... because she has made the effort to stay sober and healthy. All the worrying we do has no effect!

Good luck!

T