Thread: New to AVRT
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DejaVu2
Music Junkie

New to AVRT

Hey all, have had a couple threads elsewhere on the site. Mostly in Substance Abuse.
Here for my husband who is having issues with a crack addiction.

Recently was told about AVRT and I have high hopes with this technique.
Was hoping to get a little more detail and advice on individual basis.

My husband says he has always been able to tell the difference between him and "it" he has described his problem to me in a way using two separate thoughts/people/ like a split personality or evil twin concept. I didn't know how common this was but I figured if it works for him than great. When coming across AVRT I thought it would help sense he already seems to understand the AV vs. him concept and can now realize what that is more so than just another part of him. He can label it and recognize it more so.

He went through the Crash Course last night but we haven't had a chance to discuss it yet and when we do I will be able to get more specific on what advice is needed.

Would love to get him on this forum but he doesn't have any free time with his work schedule so I am helping in this way

So mostly looking at ways to deal with (we dubbed his beast "Monster") his monster when it creeps up.
In the past he would argue with it, or try to reason with it which never helped (now understanding why) and when he tried ignoring it, he said it would be a matter of seconds before it comes back stronger and becomes harder to ignore. This would happen repeatedly before the AV would decide it would shut up if he just gives in. So he would. He'd give in to shut up the AV. Exactly what It wanted.
Realizing this now, thanks to awesome information here and on the RR website.

So how do you deal with the AV? What can he do if ignoring it seems to become more of a struggle? Just tell himself he calls the shots? I mean, I'm a little confused as to if recognizing/ignoring is enough to keep it at bay long enough to carry on with life.

Hope to find some help on this. This seems to be what we need and I'm excited