View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
NoelleR

Cool

Originally Posted by illiga View Post
...the recovery was not by any means an easy one. His life now has forever changed. We lost our house, he lost his job, and my mom and him are no longer together. I'm worried these stressors will effect him in a negative way.
If he comes up with these as 'excuses' to go back to the way he was before, well, you just tell him that you khow someone who was in similar circumstances.....no spouse and didn't own a house, but all the rest (lost job; lost apartment; lost place for my meager belongings.....how was i going to survive; where to live/sleep; how to eat.....?).....

I got sober the last week of June; the first week of July, my mom needed me to come to CA (I live in TX) and help her out. She was in hospital; she'd been hit by a car (she was a pedestrian), and she wanted me to come help her when she was released from the hospital.....get settled at home; do some work around the house...supplies 'n such.....BUT, when I asked my boss for some time off (a long weekend; a week at most), she told me that if I went, well I shouldn't expect my job when I returned (the job included an apartment, rent-free)..........What the heck!!!! ..................I went, and stayed for almost three months----best thing I ever did for myself.

Of course, when I returned, all my stuff had been unceremoniously dumped in an empty apartment, and I was without a place to live and no income.....BUT I was sober, and the possibilities were endless.....! I stayed sober; continued to grow, etc.; and she.....? Well, her apt. complexes died slowly on the vine to where she had nothing, after which i don't know; I was too busy with my own 'sober' life.

He can do it!!!! ...and like you said, and I said in my first paragraph, yes, these may be stressors, and they may affect him in a negative way, but if he chooses to drink/use over them, this is his CHOICE (they'd just be convenient excuses); he also has the CHOICE to NOT drink or use over them too...........

Here's wishing you all good...................stuff!!!

(o:
NoelleR