View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I spent yesterday with 3 family members who don't drink. It was nice. I opted to stay away from all the drinking. I don't mind being around people who drink but right now things are a bit fragile for me so I know I need to be careful. Don't want to give myself any additional reasons or rationale to drink.
Well, that's a great approach, both physically / socially and mentally. Not everyone drinks at get togethers, and sometimes hanging out with them makes it easier, especially at the beginning.

The one thing I noticed when I stopped drinking was how much other people drank! But I had to realize that no one is going to stop on my behalf, so it was time to turn my focus away from what was in their hand to other things - focusing on the conversation, or playing with the kids, or helping out in the kitchen, etc.

I also found that instead of getting resentful at them being able to drink and not me, I would see if there was anything I could do to help them be more comfortable - another serving of food, replenish snacks, gather coats - another way of getting out of my head and also adding to the get together.

As for giftcards - I love them. My wallet is jack full of coffee cards