View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
eumenides

Originally Posted by llastchance8 View Post
Should there be a very simple reason to quit which can not become cause of relapse in future ? or there should not be any reason at all ?
I think it depends on which one of "you" is asking this question. Is it the "you" who has the signature line warning about drinking or is it the "you" who used to drink?

You are right, people do quit drinking for different reasons. Some quit so they won't lose what they have and hold dear, a spouse, child custody, a job but might end up losing them just the same for other reasons not related to drinking. Regardless, if the reason you quit drinking is lost, does that necessitate a party? Is it party time because I got laid off due to a recession? Is it party time that my child died (heaven forbid)? Of course not.

Your reason for quitting is like a bridge. It is to get you from point A: a person with bad habits to point B: someone who neither drinks nor seriously considers drinking (reread soberlicious's points). The bridge itself doesn't matter. The bridge can be iron or steel; the bridge can be wood or rope. The bridge can be washed away after you've crossed the path. The bridge does not matter.

It is the destination. It is always the destination.