View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
bluehorse

I wrote my friend a letter about my concerns. It was initially well received. He was probably drunk when he first read it. Now he is cool and remote. I am hopeful that with time he will decide on recovery. That being said, I am his friend and will continue to be supportive, loving and compassionate without being co-dependent. It is a delicate balance and takes constant attention. Only he can decide to get sober, I can't do it for him, but I can be available to him and supportive when he is ready. I have done my research and have resources available for him when and if he is ready to act. It is a difficult position to be in but alcoholics are alone and isolated in their disease. Reach your hand out and offer some support. If rejected, step away but let your loved one know that you are ready to be supportive when they are ready to get sober. I have learned so much over the last few years. I lost my brother to addiction four years ago. I will no longer look away and expect a loved one to get sober on their own. I will talk to them, let them know of my concerns in a loving, nonjudgmental and compassionate manner. Ultimately we all know that we can't get sober for them but I will be there when my friend is ready to get better as I was not able to be there for my brother.