View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
tammy711
Galatians 5:13

dybehfar: I wrestled with "never" for a time. I was committed to "I don't drink", but the "I will never change my mind" part got my AV all riled up. So, I made a secret plan to let myself drink at a later date in life (mine was when I was 70 or 80 years old). My AV told me "you'll be old and what else will there be to do at that age? Who will care if you drink too much then? People will probably be happy for you that you're drinking."

I stayed comfortably in the "now", keeping my little secret, continued with personal, sober growth and self-study of RR & AVRT. One night, I found a place where saying "never" actually felt comfortable and good. It was no longer an impediment. For me, saying "never" feels more like a rocket launcher! :- )

I guess my advice, not that anyone is asking, is that we should remain in the now. Don't worry about forever (or never). If the liberating feeling of never comes, awesome! If it does not, who cares as long as you have right now. (In reality "now" is all any of us really have anyway ;-)

I don't drink and I will never change my mind.

*smile*