Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
onlythetruth
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Quinnleigh View Post
I guess that is the main fear. How will I go on a date, how will I have sex, how will I go to a party, how will I speak to the shopkeeper, how will I talk to people at all, underneath the alcohol is a scared mess that cant do any of it (ok that sounded like the AV??). I tell myself I am drinking to manage my anxiety. That is still gonna be there??
Actually where Im stuck is, I want to stop, but not forever. Anyone else had this one?
That's right--the fear is pure AV. You most certainly CAN date, have sex, socialize and do business without drinking. Not only that, but far from being the answer to your anxiety, your anxiety is either caused by, or made worse by drinking.

As far as wanting to stop...but not forever? The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this could be a sneaky AV thing: "you don't want to quit forever, so you have to keep drinking". Sort of like turning the Big Plan against you. I don't know if our resident AVRT experts (I am not one) would agree with this notion or not, but it's something to think about.