View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ZiggyB

Hi,
I'm glad you moved away from him. Being with a man who punches you and has continued to drink in spite of that must be incredibly frustrating. that would be enough to make a lot of people quit. I'm afraid to say I would keep my distance from him. He needs to quit drinking for good or he will start backsliding and the problems will never go away. Counseling is a good first step for him but unless he commits to sobriety it's unlikely he will ever change.

Like you I didn't want to be in a relationship with an alcoholic. I attempted to lecture, get angry, beg, scold, cry and pretty much anything else I could think of. He would tell me "I will do whatever I want and you will have nothing to say about it." Then he would get mad at me for not obeying his every command!

Such a loving, caring guy, huh? Anyway I second the recommendation for al-anon but most of all, when you give up hope that they will ever change you start to realize you can't really live with them the way they are. I'm sorry, it sucks so much.