Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
CentralOhioDad

Originally Posted by AirlineGuy View Post
Thanks for the good advice.

But what about the trip that is specifically designed to be about wine. It is in January, and I have to book airline and hotels. How can we do this? Should I shift the trip to somewhere else where wine isn't the focus?
You have to make that decision, we can't. But I see this: you haven't said she can't control her wine intake around you, or your friends as of today. Other than those 2 bottles of vodka (which are imporatnt, I'm not downplaying them), it seems from what you have told us that she's fine otherwise - except for last year at the holidays.

Again, if you shift the trip that you both have planned on - she'll probably ask why, and that will start a row if you tell her the truth. Also, you are trying to control the environment based on a suspicion on what 'could happen'.

Now, in my situation where Wife passes out on the couch 1-2 times/week - no, I would not take her on a wine trip. But, your Wife might just be at the initial stages, and this trip will not force her deeper into alcoholism. If she gets raging drunk on the trip, then you'll know for sure where she's headed.

Just take today as today, you can't deal with tomorrow until tomorrow comes. You are fearing something that: you have no control over; and that may not even happen. Take it as it comes, my friend