Thread: denial
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
oak

I initially stopped drinking when I was 23, and then I was sober for 16 years. I have drank a few times in the past few years, but I have been sober a lot too in the past few years.

When I quit drinking at 23, I was not sure if I was an alcoholic, but I did not want to take the chance of alcohol taking over my life. It just was not worth the risk. I am so happy that I quit early, because I think it makes sobriety much easier now. And quitting early means I have fewer regrets and fewer things I missed out on due to alcohol.

The few times that I have drank in the past few years makes me certain that alcohol is a problem for me. (even though I can also go to the place of denial- i have not drank enough to have a problem, i can often stop at one or two, etc.). But when I am drinking, alcohol means too much to me, and I make choices that I would never make sober.

You mentioned several red flags. Drinking more than intended, bored unless drinking when cooking, doing things that you regret.

You do not have to hit the same rock bottom that someone else gets to. There is an assumption that people have to lose a lot before they are ready to quit. I am not sure where that thought came from, but I do not think it is accurate. People stop addictive tendencies all the time, at many different stages.

I decided that my bottom was low enough for me. I do not want to live my life addicted.