Old 11-05-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jennifer1970

Unhappy In a relationship with a long term sober man

I'm in a relationship of just over 2 years with a man who has been sober for 25 years this February. In September, I noticed he had started betting on sports with some friends of his. He used to do this a long time ago, but to my knowledge has not engaged in this in the time that we have been dating. He tries to hide what he's doing - or just not acknowledge it since he does it right in front of me with texts, phonecalls, his odds book, and running in to check his computer when I am with him - and I don't understand why he wants to hide it since I'm not worried it will be a problem for him.

Now I am getting worried because we've had 2 nasty fights in 2 months - well, I fight and he just backs away - and at the root of why I want to fight with him is my anger about being so secretive about the betting.

Do I need to be concerned that he will start drinking again? What are some good resources or tips for how to emotionally engage with someone in recovery? Most of the time our relationship is great and I do love him, but after this time he still keeps me at arms length emotionally and won't let me "into" his life.

What can I do to make him more comfortable about opening up to me?