Thread: Allergic?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
ShootingStar1

My dad was allergic to gin. It made him mean, extra mean. Martinis, and I'd hide.

He was an alcoholic, but truly, he was extra mean if he drank gin. Popcorn made his ears itch, too. Told him not to put it in his ears, but that didn't go over well. I also sat on the stairs, just out of reach, and when he told me he didn't want to hear another peep out of me, I'd go "Peep. Peep. Peep."

Maybe not the best defense, but what else could an 8 year old do?

Sadconfused, you are NOT at fault here. Alanon, and the wise folks here on SR will tell you the 3 c's:

You didn't cause it.
You can't control it.
You can't cure it.

I'd agree with Thumper, if you'd call an ambulance if you didn't know the person was an alcoholic, then call one for him. It's a reasonable consequence of his behavior if he is acting like he is dying. He could be. If he's not, he'll probably be diagnosed with acute alcohol intoxication, and that in itself might be a wake-up call.

My STBXAH went by ambulance to the ER in June after going into what looked like a coma suddenly in a restaurant. I thought he was having a stroke or heart attack. I didn't have the presence of mind to call the ambulance, but the bartenders did. His body lost all muscle tone, and the people around him were saying "My God, he's not going to make it." It was terrifying.

He had a blood alcohol level of .325 - enough to go into a coma, close enough to die. He was diagnosed with acute alcohol intoxication. Unfortunately, he's spent the last months explaining why the hospital faked the test, the test was wrong, they tried to kill him with haldol, you name it.

It was one of the precipitating events that got me to really think about what was happening, what was really medical in his health problems and what was alcohol. It led me to really look at how deeply I was enabling him, thinking I was taking care of a sick spouse.

I'd say do what you have to, what is reasonable, and let the chips fall where they may. You might want to google gaslighting and "Sam Vaknin and narcissism".

We're here for you as you sort this out, and pulling for YOUR health, whatever path that may be for you.

ShootingStar1