View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ms.TimmyV

Originally Posted by sobernowornever View Post
Thank You Payne.
. . . I am not sure if he is aware he has a problem. It seems like everyone around him knows it but he doesn't.
I struggle with this one. I feel the need to let someone know that they have a problem. However, most of the time they already know, regardless of clueless they seem to act. Not only that, it truly isn't any of my concern. I know, this probably goes against the grain of everything you know.

Have you ever tried to help someone, they choose not to take your advice (or act like they have no clue what you're talking about) then when THEY are ready to change, they have no problem doing so....without your help? Well, that's because they have known all along they've had a problem, and because they are responsible for their own life.

As recovering addicts, you know as well as I do that you are fully aware of the hell that you're raising, the people you're hurting, and complete and total inability to stop. I know I never needed anyone to tell me anything. You have too much going on in your own life to get your dad to come around. Focus on your own sobriety.

I wish confronting someone about their addiction was like "Intervention". The addict/alcoholic is remorseful, your threats and ultimatums actually work, and they ship off to rehab and come back like nothing ever happened...all in a tidy 60 minute segment. If only it were that simple.

I know it's hard not being able to fix a person, but you simply can't. Once you accept that their life isn't your responsibility, it will feel like a huge weight has been lifted off your back.